Tuesday 11 September 2007

Rocks on the Road

Romans ch 9: 30-33
"And Israel who seemed so interested in reading and talking about what God was doing , missed it. How could they miss it? Because instead of trusting God they took over.
They were absorbed in what they themselves were doing. They were so absorbed in their God projects that they didn't notice God right there in front of them, like a huge rock in the middle of the road. And so they stumbled into him and went sprawling.

Isaiah gives us the metaphor..
"Careful! I have put a huge stone on the road to Mount Zion, a stone you can't get around.
BUT THE STONE IS ME! If you are looking for me, you will find me on the way..not in the way".

This wee passage from the message brought me fresh excitement about risks and distractions.
How often do we miss God in the midst of our desperate quest to tick all the christian boxes, to please people and to do all the right things, or not do the wrong things as the case may be.
I have started to consider "distractions" with a little less scepticism. Perhaps distractions, obstacles, a stone in our path, could simply be God starring us in the face.
If we seek him we will find him, though he may not look the way we thought he would.
I'm sick of logic and reasoning in my journey to Zion. I'm open to these distractions that appear from a place of freedom and love.
I am jumping on the band wagon, screw the predictable road to Zion. Lets embrace the stones in the middle of the road. Lets see them as meeting God on the way....not an obstacle in the way.
This means lots of different things for different people. For me it means taking risks that could be interpreted as mistakes getting in the way of a normal, successful life. You know what your rocks on the road are. Don't bump into them and go sprawling...embrace!

No comments:

Post a Comment